Monday, January 13, 2014

What is SXSW Survival Blog FAinterQview

We have a digital sitdown with author of this blog to ask a few questions about the purpose SXSW Survival Blog (sxswsb) and who's writing it.  In this interview transcript below, ME is the sxswb author and anyone else is THEM.

--------------------

THEM: Let's start with the veggies before the deserts. What is SXSW Survival Blog NOT?

ME: It's not a place to get the latest #sxswrumors or #sxswsecretshows. If you are reading this blog (and hey, I hope you are!), the digital force is strong enough with you to find 95% of everything happening at SXSW. Believe in yourself!

There are several REALLY good sites, apps, twitter'ers, tumblr'ers, facebook pages, and (I'm preaching to the choir here) blogs, that can be found with some decent #google-fu.

THEM: Anything else while you're at it?

Yes, let's get this awkward moment out the way now: I'm sorry, but I can't get you in or on the list. I'm not in any position of power. I'm just like you... just with a sxsw survival blog. In SXSW hookup context, it's the only difference.

THEM: You're assuming we don't also have sxsw survival blogs, don't you think?

ME: Yes, I do think I'm assuming that, but then again, you are here. :)

THEM: Point conceded.  OK, let's skip to desert now. What ACTUALLY is SXSW Survival Blog?

ME: Check out the second paragraph description of Survivorman tv show.  Instead of surviving wilderness, we're teaching you how to survive a party/population apocalypse. A #partypocalypse, if you will.  I'm here to help you satisfy that bottom level of Maslow's hierarchy during SXSW all by yourself.

THEM: Neat! After reading that Wikipedia, it looks like you're going to get us laid and find us some high quality whatever homeostasis is, right?

ME: Wrong. Read my last answer, last sentence, last prepositional phrase.

THEM:  Hmph. Well, we guess #DIY is trendy, we can roll that way. But what are you're credentials here? We don't even know you.

ME:  True, you don't know me, and the name "mikophey" is not on my Driver's License. But what is on my DL is my city: Austin. I'm a local. I have worked in downtown Austin for multiple years. I have #homecourtadvantage.  Like a first person shooter, it makes all the difference in the world to know the terrain of battle.

THEM:  There you go again, assuming. And we got you this time because we ARE locals too!

ME: See, I told you I'm just like you. What school did you go to here?

THEM: Well, see, actually, we're not all from Austin, some of us just moved here, and well, ummm, most of us are just here for the week.

ME: All good, I'm not from Austin either. But I've been here since the Longhorns won the Rose Bowl, and I'll be here when they do it again! #texasstrong

THEM: Well, better you than me spending all my time writing this blog.  Sounds useful, but I don't have the time to sweat all the little things.

ME: Homeostasis is something to sweat. #sciencejoke. Keeping a homeostasis state takes planning.  As a project manager in another life, I leveled up my planning skills.  As an event planner and coordinator in the antiquity years of the 2000s, I did time on the front lines of many events as they happened. With these 2 powers combined, I have become a captain of planning and surviving events spanning multiple days without having anyone killed or even serious bodily injury; they always make it back in one, repairable piece with stories to tell.

THEM: Silly question, but even sillier not to ask: Have you ever been to SXSW before?

ME: I've been to at least one SXSW event for the past 8 years.  Of those 8, the last 5 I've had at least a music wristband.

THEM: So you're just a music guy, then?  You know they now have stuff going on the weekend before the music starts, right?

ME: It's actually my favorite weekend. I do Interactive, Film, and Music all for a combined total of 10 straight days. Yes, 10 days, which includes 6 business days from work on vacation. Surviving in a partypopuculypse for 10 days takes meticulous planning across many areas of life. Or the regenerative powers of a 13 year old.

THEM: OK, so let's put this altogether. You live in Austin, you're not a SXSW newbie, you have some crossover skills from your day jobs for this kinda thing and you are going to show me how to still be alive the day 11th day when SXSW ends. Does that sum it up?

ME: You couldn't have said it better if I wrote that for you myself!

--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment